15 October 1999
Geest eyes NZ top fruit
GEEST, the prepared foods and produce group, has admitted it was in talks with the New Zealand Apple and Pear Marketing Board.
They discussed merging Geests imported fruit business, Worldwide Fruit, with Enzafruit UK, the boards UK operations.
The merger would create a business with a turnover of £100 million and become one of the largest fruit importers in Britain, offering fruit to all the leading food retailers.
The new business would be based at Spalding, Lincolnshire, and have net assets of £800,000.
The merger would be in part a response to the demands of supermarkets which want fewer and more efficient suppliers able to supply all year round.
- Merger makes spud super-supplier, FWi, 04 August 1999
- Geest lifts profits 15% in 1998
, FWi, 19 March 1999
- The Times 15/10/99 page 41
- The Daily Telegraph 15/10/99 page 36 (Questor)
- The Herald 15/10/99 page 27 (In Brief)