14 October 1999
Gwyther censure vote put back
MOVES to censure Welsh Assembly agriculture minister Christine Gwyther planned for yesterday have been postponed until next week.
The motion of censure was brought the assembly opposition, unhappy with Ms Gwythers efforts in establish a Welsh calf processing aid scheme.
Franz Fischler, European Commissioner for agriculture, said that such a request would have to come from Westminster.
Ms Gwyther said she did not see why she should be censured for trying to do her best for Wales.
The appointment of vegetarian Ms Gwyther in May caused controversy. Farmers leaders questioned how she could represent the interests of livestock producers.
- Gwyther faces censure over calves, FWi, yesterday (13 October, 1999)
- `Gwyther misled us over calves, FWi, 07 October 1999
- Welsh vote to go it alone over calves
, FWi, 16 September 1999
- Wales to introduce new calf scheme, FWi, 08 September 1999
- Vegetarian wont quit Welsh farm minister job, FWi, 21 May 1999