23 March 1999
Monsanto is ‘public enemy No 1’
THE biotechnology company Monsanto is “public enemy number one”, claimed a Liberal Democrat MP in the House of Commons last night.
Norman Baker, MP for Lewes, said the Monsanto had shown a lack of concern for the environment and for public opinion.
He said companys activities must be curtailed and was accused of “thwarting” consumer choice and “bulldozing” elected governments.
Mr Baker also attacked the company for using intimidating farmers.
Monsanto is taking court action in the USA and Canada against several farmers accused of using its products illegally.
- Monsantod milk sparks new GM row, FWi, yesterday (22 March, 1999)
- Monsanto lawyers chase GM seed “pirates”, FWi, 13 November, 1998
- Monsanto under fire from GM crop rivals, FWi, 29 October, 1998
- Monsanto sets lawyers on unlicensed GM grower, FWi, 01 October, 1998
- Monsanto under atack in Bangladesh, FWi, 26 June, 1998
- The Independent 23/03/02/99 page 8