31 August 1999
More power for MEPs, says Fischler
EUROPEAN farm commissioner Franz Fischler has said that the European Parliaments decision-making powers in agricultural policy should be increased.
Mr Fischler made the statement when he appeared before a “confirmation” hearing to approve his re-appointment as Europes Commissioner for agriculture.
Mr Fischler emerged unscathed from the scandal which provoked the mass resignation of the former commission earlier this year.
He said he would speak in favour of giving parliament more “co-decision” authority at the next inter-governmental conference to change the European Treaty.
Mr Fischler also said he would be prepared to resign if a resolution was passed by the Parliament requiring him to do so.
- Fischler back to cut EU farm subsidy? FWi, 05 July, 1999
- Fischler tipped to retain portfolio, FWi, 30 June, 1999
- CAP reform on track despite walkout, FWi, 16 March, 1999
- The Times 31/08/99 page 10
- The Independent 31/08/99 page 10
- Financial Times 31/08/99 page 3
- The Guardian 31/08/99 page 8
- The Daily Telegraph 31/08/99 page 10