Reduce risk posed by animals in showring

TAKING LIVESTOCK to agricultural shows should be an enjoyable experience, but what happens when one of your animals damages something or someone while at a show?

While most shows stop short of actually demanding exhibitors have public liability insurance as a condition of entry, many include clauses in their rules indemnifying shows of all responsibility for animals on the showground. But there may be cases when establishing liability is difficult.

It”s possible an exhibitor may secure their animals perfectly satisfactorily before leaving them unattended, but someone else could then let them loose, explains Royal Show livestock secretary Debbie Dann. “Who”s liable then? It could be the exhibitor, the show organiser or neither.”


While the Royal Show doesn”t currently demand exhibitors have public liability insurance as a condition of entry, the time may come when all exhibitors have to carry out a risk assessment for their stock, she adds. The simplest way of covering animals while at shows will be via a farm public liability policy, reckons Chris John, of Devon-based Graham Sykes Insurance. “A farm policy should cover damage or injury caused by animals whether they are on the farm premises or not. “Policy cost will depend on farm size, location and animal type, but for an average sized farm a 5m public liability policy would cost in the region of 350-500. “

See more