24 August 1999
Scots surprise over assurance scheme
THE Meat Hygiene Service is under renewed pressure from the Scottish Beef Council (SBC) to change its stance on hygiene.
The SBC wants the health agency to acknowledge that the belly-clipping of cattle is a “dangerous waste of time” as a way of combating E coli contamination.
It says the MHS should be doing more to increase protection from E-coli within abattoirs by steam sterilising or irradiating carcasses.
The SBC says that the MHS should adopt the hygiene rules which are standard practice in the USA.
- Belly-clipping row intensifies, FWi, 25 June, 1999
- NFUS warns on under-belly clipping, FWi, 20 April, 1999
- Wholesalers reject cattle clipping plan, FWi, 26 February, 1999
- Hygiene Service firm on clipping, FWi, 25 February, 1999
- SAC warns on clipping danger, FWi, 17 February, 1999
- The Herald 24/08/99 page 23