10 September 1999
United Biscuits hit by GM worries
CONSUMER concern over genetically-modified (GM) ingredients have been blamed for a fall of £1.5m fall in the profits of United Biscuits.
Concern over GM ingredients forced the company into a rapid reformulation of its Linda McCartney range of vegetarian foods earlier this year.
The entire range of Linda McCartney meat-free meals has been reformulated to replace soya ingredients with wheat-based substitutes.
Overall group profit in the first half of the year fell by 23% to £39.5m.
- The Times 10/09/99 page 30, page 32 (Tempus)
- The Independent 10/09/99 page 25 (Investment Column)
- Financial Times 10/09/99 page 24
- The Guardian 10/09/99 page 27
- The Herald 10/09/99 page 25
- GM crops could harm land values, FWi, (12 March, 1999)