24 January 2000
USA, EU divided over GM trade
THE USA and the EU are heading for a new confrontation over genetically modified (GM) crops, which looks set to jeopardise plans to conclude an international “biosafety protocol”.
Delegates from more than 130 countries are meeting in Montreal this week to get agreement on the protocol.
Europe wants tighter regulation, whereas the USA insists bio-engineered crops should be treated no differently from other traded goods.
Negotiations broke down at a meeting last February on the issue.
- Safety concerns threaten GM talks, FWi, 14 January, 2000
- EU talks tough on GM products, Fwi, 14 December, 1999
- EU blocks GM talks at WTO, FWi, 3 December, 1999
- The Times 24/01/2000 page 13 (World in Brief)
- Financial Times 24/01/2000 page 10, page 44 (FT Guide to the Week)
- The Herald 24/01/2000 page 9