Verifications on schedule for ACCS

5 June 1998




Verifications on schedule for ACCS

THE combinable crop assurance scheme in England and Wales is on schedule to complete verification of all current applicants in time for harvest.

"By the end of May, 3427 farms had been verified, with visits continuing at a rate of about 400 a week," says Tim Hughes, chairman of verification company Checkmate International.

Some 70% of farms are passing, conditional upon minor remedies in certain cases. The other 30% need more substantial action and have been given deferred passes. They will be visited again in June or early July.

The most common causes of non-compliance are uncovered lights, inadequate spray store bunding and incomplete records. "All these matters can easily be remedied and do not have high cost implications," says Mr Hughes.


See more