Warning over bug in mushrooms

17 April 2001

Warning over bug in mushrooms

By FWi staff

FOOD safety experts have issued a warning after a batch of mushrooms were found to be contaminated with a rare form of salmonella.

Shoppers have been advised to wash and peel mushrooms before cooking to kill bacteria, and not eat them raw, by the Food Standards Agency.

The strain of the bug, known as salmonella kedougou, is believed to have been imported into England from Northern Ireland, reports the Daily Mail.

Shipments from the Province were brought to a halt while FSA officials began an investigation.

The bug, which has previously been associated with turkey meat and tripe, was found in 22 of 200 test samples.

  • DailY Mail 17 April, 2001, page 22

See more