Clinton and Prodi discuss agenda
YESTERDAY, President Bill Clinton met Romano Prodi, president of the European Commission to discuss a common agenda for next months global trade talks.
The European Union (EU) wants the trade round to include topics such as investment and competition policy
The US is keen to include agriculture, labour and environmental standards.
Mr Prodi said he found “wide agreement” with Clinton on the proposed agenda
But he gave no indication of a resolution to the issues of beef and bananas which have been a source of conflict.
- EU ready to talk subsidy cuts – Lamy, FWi, 26 October 1999
- Aggressive US trade reform bid, FWi, 30 September 1999
- Barriers to farm trade likely to stay, FWi, 9 July 1999
- EU ministers meet on beef and bananas, FWi, 17 May 1999
- Financial Times 28/10/99 page 18