Contingency planning and disposal of contaminated litter and washdown water will be key issues raised at avian influenza roadshows being run across England, Scotland and Wales this autumn.
The Poultry Health and Welfare Group has set up 11 meetings for poultry producers and the industry following the success of last year’s events, which attracted more than 1,200 people.
Among the changes this year are an additional event in Scotland with greater input from the Scottish government, a meeting in Wales and presentations from the Environment Agency and its bodies in Scotland and Wales.
Gary Ford, chief NFU poultry adviser, said the group – which includes the British Poultry Council, British Egg Industry Council, the NFU, the Game Farmers Association and the British Veterinary Poultry Association – had acted on feedback received from last year’s events.
“Poultry farmers wanted to know what they can do with contaminated litter and washdown litter and we are also keen this year to put greater emphasis on contingency planning.
“We want to reinforce to our members this disease poses an ever-present risk to your farm and we want to stress that delegates who attended last year will get a lot out of this autumn’s meetings.”
‘AI not going away’
Maire Burnett, British Poultry Council agriculture policy manager, added that avian influenza was not going away.
“Last year’s roadshows were very successful and highlighted the need for producers to be aware of the risk.
“That risk has not gone away and we are entering a high-risk period with the autumn migratory bird season upon us.”
Ms Burnett added she hoped delegates would be able to take part in interactive opportunities as part of the contingency planning sessions.
AI autumn roadshow dates
- Friday 11 November NFU Office, Agriculture House, Royal Welsh Showground, Builth Well, Powys LD2 3TU
- Monday 14 November Park Hotel, 29 Denmark Street, Diss, Norfolk IP22 4LE
- Tuesday 15 November Lady Easwood Centre, Rooms 1 and 2, Newark and Notts Agricultural Society, Newark Showground, Winthorpe, Newark NG24 2NY
- Friday 18 November NFU Office, Agriculture House, 207 Tadcaster Road, Dringhouses, York, North Yorkshire YO24 1UD
- Tuesday 22 November NFU Office, Glangarioch room at Thainstone Mart, Thainstone, Inverurie AB51 5XZ
- Thursday 24 November NFU Rural Centre, West Mains, Ingliston, Midlothian EH28 8LT
- Friday 25 November NFU Office, Agriculture House, Southwater Way, Telford, Shropshire TF3 4NR
- Tuesday 29 November NFU Office, Agriculture House, Pynes Hill, Rydon Lane, Exeter, Devon EX2 5ST
- Wednesday 7 December NFU Office, Unit 8 Ground Floor, Rotherbrook Court, Bedford Road, Petersfield, Hampshire GU32 3QG
- Wednesday 14 December NFU Office, Agriculture House, Willie Snaith Road, Newmarket, Suffolk CB8 7SN
- Thursday 15 December Stoneybeck Inn, Bowscar, Penrith CA11 8RP
Anyone interested in attending should register beforehand on the NFU website