Lifting the silverware in the show’s hotly contested pig championship were Brian and Margaret Mulkeen with their September 2009-born Welsh gilt Garsfield Nina 7. This one has been unbeated so far this year in her class and is by Owesby James and out of Garsfield Nina 6, the only Welsh sow owned by the couple. Reserve overall here was a January-born Middle White junior boar from Steve Richardson and Janice Wood, Finnington Captain. This is by Joben Captain and out of Finnington Fair Lady, one of two Middle White sows owned by the partnership alongside four Large Black sows.
Welsh gilt takes Great Yorkshire pig championship
About Jonathan Long
Subscribe and save
About Taking Stock
The Farmers Weekly livestock team comprising of editor Sarah Alderton and reporter Rhian Price, brings you the latest news and analysis from the livestock shows and sales up and down the country.
- Beanhill herd takes top call at Welshpool Charolais sale
- STIRLING BULL SALES 2016: Limousins hit 10,000gns
- STIRLING BULL SALES 2016: Wattie family tops Angus trade with 24,000gns bid
- ‘Despondency’ blamed for sticky Beef Shorthorn trade
- Demand remains for fresh cows as Borderway Holsteins top at 2,900gns