Some rural-related news from around the media: £12m treasure trove of classic cars found on French farm What happens when a girl lets a cow into a house? Straw Santa appears at Shropshire farm
We promise not to go too Christmasy on you too early here at Field Day, but after yesterday’s seasonally dressed Jersey cow, we thought we’d bring you a brief bit of reindeer news. In Shropshire, a winter-white six-month-old reindeer is proving a festive favourite at Winston Christmas Tree Farm. Meanwhile, we’re wondering whether in parts […]
The lovely bovine model pictured below is Gloria, a purebred Jersey from Devon and the ambassador for UK Christian charity Send a Cow. Gloria has donned the stylish knit to raise awareness of Send a Cow’s aim of selling 20,000 festive gifts that will make a difference to poverty-stricken African families. Kirstine Dunhill, Head of […]
Some amusing and unexpected rural stories from around the web: * Hungarian pigs with curly, woolly fleeces * A photographer captures the essence of Dartmoor * Naked calendar photo shoot ends in cow chase
Countryside dating website Muddy Matches is running a charity messaging event and wants your help to choose the winning charity. They have selected three UK charities which support the farming community to be put forward to the public vote during November. The chosen charity will go on to receive 10p per message that is sent […]
How about this for a unique tribute to a sheepdog? Farmer Dave Isaac converted his Peugeot estate car into a working sheepdog called Floss. Despite the disbelieving glances of neighbours, Dave spent £2,000 covering the family car in fur so it resembled his favourite sheepdog after she died. But he’s recently reluctantly decided she had […]
Portrait and documentary photographer Charlie Goddard has been exploring contemporary agriculture. Essex-based Charlie has produced a body of work from six farms of different types and sizes, exploring “the current economic and emotive state of farming in Britain”. The work has been exhibited in London and Portsmouth this summer. “The farmlands of Britain are a source […]
More curious news from the wonderful world of the internet: A dog helps out on Russian farm (yes, you did read that right). RSPCA officers enact a daring cliff rescue to save a stranded sheep in Gower.
Some weird and wonderful agricultural snippets from around the web: A 6ft 4in cow from Illinois is crowned the tallest in the world. A farm worker finds a novel way to propose. A Highland cow deals with an itchy rump.
It’s not just Young Farmers in Market Bosworth who are at it, the YFC members in Wiltshire have “dared to be bare” in their Cream of the Crop 2015 calendar. Proceeds from the black-and-white production, which illustrates various rural life activities, will be split between the Air Ambulance (60%) and Young Farmers clubs across Wiltshire […]
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Opinion: Not much hope for 2015, according to the tea leaves December 21, 2014
- Farmer attracts attention with novel Christmas lights December 21, 2014
- “You can’t build a peaceful world on empty stomachs... December 20, 2014
- Farmers Weekly 2014 photo competition winners revealed December 19, 2014
- The farmer's best friend: Which sheepdog breed to choose December 18, 2014
- RT @FarmersWeekly: Why every farmer deserves respect #teamdairy #teamsheep #clubhectare http://t.co/0dSGUXnh5c 05:11:28 PM October 10, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @BritishFlowers Can I just check you guys took this pic please? We'll try to squeeze it into FW... 11:30:52 AM September 11, 2014 from Twitter Web Client in reply to BritishFlowers ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Exaggerating? Swearing? Itching? 13 tell-tale signs that harvest is in full swing #harvest14 http://t.co/2ucAa4G1l7 http://t.co/3Y48wrR3sO 09:00:17 PM August 14, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @FarmersWeekly: See what farmers thought about the first episode of #firsttimefarmers (link correct this time) http://t.co/ze1b6hMIY6 02:54:29 PM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @garethbarlow Any chance you could give me a quick call pls Gareth... 020 8652 4928. 10:57:39 AM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app in reply to GarethBarlow ReplyRetweetFavorite