We promise not to go too Christmasy on you too early here at Field Day, but after yesterday’s seasonally dressed Jersey cow, we thought we’d bring you a brief bit of reindeer news. In Shropshire, a winter-white six-month-old reindeer is proving a festive favourite at Winston Christmas Tree Farm. Meanwhile, we’re wondering whether in parts […]
The lovely bovine model pictured below is Gloria, a purebred Jersey from Devon and the ambassador for UK Christian charity Send a Cow. Gloria has donned the stylish knit to raise awareness of Send a Cow’s aim of selling 20,000 festive gifts that will make a difference to poverty-stricken African families. Kirstine Dunhill, Head of […]
Some amusing and unexpected rural stories from around the web: * Hungarian pigs with curly, woolly fleeces * A photographer captures the essence of Dartmoor * Naked calendar photo shoot ends in cow chase
Countryside dating website Muddy Matches is running a charity messaging event and wants your help to choose the winning charity. They have selected three UK charities which support the farming community to be put forward to the public vote during November. The chosen charity will go on to receive 10p per message that is sent […]
How about this for a unique tribute to a sheepdog? Farmer Dave Isaac converted his Peugeot estate car into a working sheepdog called Floss. Despite the disbelieving glances of neighbours, Dave spent £2,000 covering the family car in fur so it resembled his favourite sheepdog after she died. But he’s recently reluctantly decided she had […]
Portrait and documentary photographer Charlie Goddard has been exploring contemporary agriculture. Essex-based Charlie has produced a body of work from six farms of different types and sizes, exploring “the current economic and emotive state of farming in Britain”. The work has been exhibited in London and Portsmouth this summer. “The farmlands of Britain are a source […]
More curious news from the wonderful world of the internet: A dog helps out on Russian farm (yes, you did read that right). RSPCA officers enact a daring cliff rescue to save a stranded sheep in Gower.
Some weird and wonderful agricultural snippets from around the web: A 6ft 4in cow from Illinois is crowned the tallest in the world. A farm worker finds a novel way to propose. A Highland cow deals with an itchy rump.
It’s not just Young Farmers in Market Bosworth who are at it, the YFC members in Wiltshire have “dared to be bare” in their Cream of the Crop 2015 calendar. Proceeds from the black-and-white production, which illustrates various rural life activities, will be split between the Air Ambulance (60%) and Young Farmers clubs across Wiltshire […]
Market Bosworth Young Farmers have bravely bared (nearly) all to support a cancer charity. The Leicestershire group is doing it as a tribute to Tom Beaumont from Cadeby who recently died aged two after fighting a brain tumour, and to raise funds for the CLIC Sargent charity which supports children with cancer. The calendars – […]
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Opinion: Foldyard antics and fly-tying challenges November 27, 2014
- Could you be Britain's Sexiest Farmer? November 26, 2014
- Farm accidents: How to save a life in an emergency November 25, 2014
- Farm Chef recipe: Pot roast brisket November 21, 2014
- Opinion: Don't be embarrassed, let's talk Europe... November 21, 2014
- Rare 'golden' mole caught http://t.co/KzqLENloBE 12:13:43 PM November 28, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @overthefarmgate: @jonesFW @timrelfFW you seen this?! RT @jhdarcy I'm a celebrity get me out of here!? http://t.co/MYm3dIxEa7 #farmpics 03:48:02 PM November 27, 2013 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @MillyMollyManda Well done on your win Amanda:) #VMGMindAwards 05:00:58 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to MillyMollyManda ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @jo_elvin Commiserations re last night. Very moving evening and, as you say, just good to be there and to be covering this stuff. 05:00:17 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to jo_elvin ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Nominations have started rolling in for our Britain's Sexiest Farmer competition. Here's the gallery so far http://t.co/IttHoWn2Y3 05:58:20 PM November 18, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite