It’s not just Young Farmers in Market Bosworth who are at it, the YFC members in Wiltshire have “dared to be bare” in their Cream of the Crop 2015 calendar. Proceeds from the black-and-white production, which illustrates various rural life activities, will be split between the Air Ambulance (60%) and Young Farmers clubs across Wiltshire […]
Market Bosworth Young Farmers have bravely bared (nearly) all to support a cancer charity. The Leicestershire group is doing it as a tribute to Tom Beaumont from Cadeby who recently died aged two after fighting a brain tumour, and to raise funds for the CLIC Sargent charity which supports children with cancer. The calendars – […]
Calling all amateur photographers – the Farmers Weekly Photography Competition 2014 is now open for entries. Find all the details here, plus if you want a bit of inspiration, have a look at some of the entries to last year’s contest.
Recycled gun cartridge chandeliers are the brainchild of Harper Adams student James Day. The 19-year-old collects used cartridges from the university’s Clay Shooting Club during practice and, using high tension wire and decorative chains, creates the chandeliers. “I had seen creations using cartridges on the internet and at craft fairs, so when I noticed a […]
You couldn’t make this stuff up: a Bavarian farmer has put ‘nappies’ on his cows.
We had a photo on Field Day a while back of an animal with its head in a ladder. Well here’s the tale of an in-calf cow that was rescued after it got its head stuck in a military pillbox.
Ballymena-born artist Paul Bell is holding his first solo exhibition in five years, Not Just Cows. Paul is well known for his strong cow paintings on colourful backgrounds, which are sought after for their strong physical resemblance to their subject matter. As the title suggests, however, this solo exhibition which runs from September 27 to […]
Let it never be said that Field Day doesn’t bring you news of unusual sheep rescues. We’ve had one saved from the sea by a kayak, one pulled from a canal and one helped off a cliff. But this is a first: a sheep rescued by a skier.
A 1945 Centurion tank is among a collection of vintage military vehicles and paraphernalia that a farmer will be auctioning in Norfolk next month. A 1940s US military truck, a 1930s Austin 8 military car and a parachute are just three of the many other items that are being put up for sale at Downham […]
A grey Fergie tractor was turned into a flowery spectacle and formed the centrepiece of a wildflower garden recently to celebrate the Hereford Cathedral Festival of Flowers. The Old Market commissioned the Great British Florist company, based at Lower Blakemere Farm, to create the project. It aimed to remind shoppers about the agricultural roots of […]
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- New live blood test to detect worms in pigs October 24, 2014
- Research looks at link between cow social ties and milk yield October 24, 2014
- Pig and poultry research at SRUC tied up October 24, 2014
- Boost bee health in the hive through mite control October 24, 2014
- Change of tactics in battle for fair milk prices October 24, 2014
- Rare 'golden' mole caught http://t.co/KzqLENloBE 12:13:43 PM November 28, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @overthefarmgate: @jonesFW @timrelfFW you seen this?! RT @jhdarcy I'm a celebrity get me out of here!? http://t.co/MYm3dIxEa7 #farmpics 03:48:02 PM November 27, 2013 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @MillyMollyManda Well done on your win Amanda:) #VMGMindAwards 05:00:58 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to MillyMollyManda ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @jo_elvin Commiserations re last night. Very moving evening and, as you say, just good to be there and to be covering this stuff. 05:00:17 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to jo_elvin ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Nominations have started rolling in for our Britain's Sexiest Farmer competition. Here's the gallery so far http://t.co/IttHoWn2Y3 05:58:20 PM November 18, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite