Pet lambs are no stranger to sheep farmers, but they usually come with rather a lot of hassle as well as the joyous moments. But this 10-month-old lamb called Pet has become part of the family since she was taken into the house when she was struggling after her birth last April and raised by […]
Herdwick Sheep are an iconic breed worth celebrating. Good to hear, therefore, that a new photographic exhibition about them is soon to open in Cumbria. The photographs are by Cumbrian photographer Ian Lawson, who has worked on the project for more than five years, immersing himself in the community of farmers and shepherds. Ian has […]
Here at Field Day we have found another wonderful animal artist – Ruth Aslett. Ruth, a farmer’s granddaughter and part-time intensive care nurse, paints landscapes, portraits, flowers and, our favourite, animals. She has painted a fab selection of cattle, sheep, pigs and chickens and says that the farm animals are what people seem to love […]
Farmers are used to dealing with all sorts of animals - mainly, admittedly, of the four-legged variety. But encountering a creature with flippers was the uncommon experience of Merseyside farmer Gary Watkinson. Read more and see video footage in The Liverpool Echo and on the BBC.
Two days until Christmas day and we received this wonderful photo on Facebook. Claire Johnson sent us this picture of her children Thomas and Harriet finishing off their Christmas list with a read through the Farmers Weekly. Claire said: “A lot of thought was going in to which tractor he’d prefer!” Ahhhhhh!
Some rural-related news from around the media: £12m treasure trove of classic cars found on French farm What happens when a girl lets a cow into a house? Straw Santa appears at Shropshire farm
We promise not to go too Christmasy on you too early here at Field Day, but after yesterday’s seasonally dressed Jersey cow, we thought we’d bring you a brief bit of reindeer news. In Shropshire, a winter-white six-month-old reindeer is proving a festive favourite at Winston Christmas Tree Farm. Meanwhile, we’re wondering whether in parts […]
The lovely bovine model pictured below is Gloria, a purebred Jersey from Devon and the ambassador for UK Christian charity Send a Cow. Gloria has donned the stylish knit to raise awareness of Send a Cow’s aim of selling 20,000 festive gifts that will make a difference to poverty-stricken African families. Kirstine Dunhill, Head of […]
Some amusing and unexpected rural stories from around the web: * Hungarian pigs with curly, woolly fleeces * A photographer captures the essence of Dartmoor * Naked calendar photo shoot ends in cow chase
Countryside dating website Muddy Matches is running a charity messaging event and wants your help to choose the winning charity. They have selected three UK charities which support the farming community to be put forward to the public vote during November. The chosen charity will go on to receive 10p per message that is sent […]
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Opinion: I'm reassured of the benefits of beef assurance March 28, 2015
- Passion for Model T drives farmer's diversification March 27, 2015
- Farmers share stories of travel adventures March 26, 2015
- Farm Chef: Recipe for the perfect afternoon tea from a farm... March 24, 2015
- Opinion: From a dead parrot to a dead duck March 24, 2015
- RT @FarmersWeekly: Why every farmer deserves respect #teamdairy #teamsheep #clubhectare http://t.co/0dSGUXnh5c 05:11:28 PM October 10, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @BritishFlowers Can I just check you guys took this pic please? We'll try to squeeze it into FW... 11:30:52 AM September 11, 2014 from Twitter Web Client in reply to BritishFlowers ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Exaggerating? Swearing? Itching? 13 tell-tale signs that harvest is in full swing #harvest14 http://t.co/2ucAa4G1l7 http://t.co/3Y48wrR3sO 09:00:17 PM August 14, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @FarmersWeekly: See what farmers thought about the first episode of #firsttimefarmers (link correct this time) http://t.co/ze1b6hMIY6 02:54:29 PM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @garethbarlow Any chance you could give me a quick call pls Gareth... 020 8652 4928. 10:57:39 AM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app in reply to GarethBarlow ReplyRetweetFavorite