We’re very partial to cute farm pet pictures here at Field Day. So thanks to Kate Brennan of Galbertstown Farm in Co Tipperary, for this shot of Figaro “taking a breather from re-seeding when he smells lunch”.
Harriet Johnson from Diss Young Farmers got in touch today to tell FW about her club’s victory at the Norfolk Young Farmers Winter Competition. Clubs were tasked with building Father Christmas out of scrap, and the Diss lot certainly delivered on the brief by building this masterpiece from an old Matrot beet harvester… “Every evening […]
Some interesting rural stories from the web: * A Norfolk farmer’s pasion for holly * Meet the UK’s only cranberry grower * How a “chimney sheep” could keep your house warmer
Thanks to Jill Robinson who sent us this picture of a horse reindeer at Lissan Farm. It is helping us, very slowly, get into the Christmas spirit.
I blogged about a golden mole a while back and so was interested to hear from Mark of MD Pest Services. “I’m a professional mole catcher working throughout Richmondshire and the Yorkshire Dales and, while trapping a farm in Coverdale with my brother, I pulled out a rare white mole,” he explains. “Catching a […]
Love this picture! It’s from a book by retired farmer and photographer John Jochimsen, which recalls the second half of the 20th century in pictures. Through the Lens of a Photojournalist is an anthology of 120 photos selected from the thousands John shot on pre-digital technology for Fleet Street, the government and commercial clients in […]
Property boom, what property boom? Here’s a ‘house’ that a farmer has built for £150.
Isn’t this cute… a giant teddy bear made out of bales, spotted in a field in Croftamie, Drymen, Scotland.
Bedfordshire Young Farmers have been taking their clothes off for charity. Warning: Nudity.
And the prize for most random photo of the day goes to… the bovine agility competition in Helsinki, Finland. Never realised cows could clear a height like this. Photos by Milla Takala/REX
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Rachel Jones and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Northern pig producer in administration December 6, 2013
- Tools to boost pesticide performance in potatoes December 6, 2013
- Software helps spud growers assess fixed costs December 6, 2013
- Tool calculates fert benefits for potato growers December 6, 2013
- New £4.2m packing plant for Chippindales December 6, 2013
- Rare 'golden' mole caught http://t.co/KzqLENloBE 12:13:43 PM November 28, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @overthefarmgate: @jonesFW @timrelfFW you seen this?! RT @jhdarcy I'm a celebrity get me out of here!? http://t.co/MYm3dIxEa7 #farmpics 03:48:02 PM November 27, 2013 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @MillyMollyManda Well done on your win Amanda:) #VMGMindAwards 05:00:58 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to MillyMollyManda ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @jo_elvin Commiserations re last night. Very moving evening and, as you say, just good to be there and to be covering this stuff. 05:00:17 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to jo_elvin ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Nominations have started rolling in for our Britain's Sexiest Farmer competition. Here's the gallery so far http://t.co/IttHoWn2Y3 05:58:20 PM November 18, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite