Ballymena-born artist Paul Bell is holding his first solo exhibition in five years, Not Just Cows. Paul is well known for his strong cow paintings on colourful backgrounds, which are sought after for their strong physical resemblance to their subject matter. As the title suggests, however, this solo exhibition which runs from September 27 to […]
Let it never be said that Field Day doesn’t bring you news of unusual sheep rescues. We’ve had one saved from the sea by a kayak, one pulled from a canal and one helped off a cliff. But this is a first: a sheep rescued by a skier.
A 1945 Centurion tank is among a collection of vintage military vehicles and paraphernalia that a farmer will be auctioning in Norfolk next month. A 1940s US military truck, a 1930s Austin 8 military car and a parachute are just three of the many other items that are being put up for sale at Downham […]
A grey Fergie tractor was turned into a flowery spectacle and formed the centrepiece of a wildflower garden recently to celebrate the Hereford Cathedral Festival of Flowers. The Old Market commissioned the Great British Florist company, based at Lower Blakemere Farm, to create the project. It aimed to remind shoppers about the agricultural roots of […]
Cider-making brothers joined Notting Hill carnival in London as part of their Taste of Somerset tour around England promoting their seven-flavour Brothers range of cider. Francis, Jonathan, Matthew and Daniel Showering, from Somerset, took to the capital city over the August bank holiday weekend on a British-built T7.200 tractor, loaned to them by New Holland. They […]
Excitement is building about the new Shaun the Sheep movie, which is due to be released next spring. The website has a short trailer for it and the BBC recently wrote about an arts trail featuring the ovine star.
Some rural-related nuggets from around the web today: The Daily Telegraph asks: Could robots replace sheepdogs? A sheep with 2okg of wool, courtesy of the BBC. Great photos of cranes fighting off a fox in the Express.
A giant, celebratory corn dolly is set to wow visitors to the Dorset County Show. Measuring 60ft in length, it’s being made in a traditional Long Welsh Fan design by Guild of Straw Craftsmen member Audrey Rolfe. Audrey, who’s been a corn dolly maker for 37 years, is well known as one of the finest […]
Farmers Weekly readers may well be familiar with Stephen Carr because of his columns – whether he’s writing about ‘the pedigree-owning classes‘ or the pleasure to be drawn from ‘living on the smell of an oily rag‘. But his farm has been in the news recently because of a play that was held there – […]
Sculpture fans will be interested to read about the work of Nick Bibby, who draws inspiration from farm animals.
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Half of dairy herds not tested for BVD in past year September 19, 2014
- Scotland independence: No vote wins September 19, 2014
- Son charged with attempted murder of dairy farming dad September 19, 2014
- Let farm for sale on edge of Dartmoor September 19, 2014
- Fertile Minds: Business event for young farmers is back September 19, 2014
- Rare 'golden' mole caught http://t.co/KzqLENloBE 12:13:43 PM November 28, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @overthefarmgate: @jonesFW @timrelfFW you seen this?! RT @jhdarcy I'm a celebrity get me out of here!? http://t.co/MYm3dIxEa7 #farmpics 03:48:02 PM November 27, 2013 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @MillyMollyManda Well done on your win Amanda:) #VMGMindAwards 05:00:58 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to MillyMollyManda ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @jo_elvin Commiserations re last night. Very moving evening and, as you say, just good to be there and to be covering this stuff. 05:00:17 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to jo_elvin ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Nominations have started rolling in for our Britain's Sexiest Farmer competition. Here's the gallery so far http://t.co/IttHoWn2Y3 05:58:20 PM November 18, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite