Imagine discovering a trap door in your field leading to a secret underground bunker, where a drugs gang was cultivating £130,000 worth of illegal cannabis plants.It reads like a movie script, but it was real life for one farmer from Shipham, Somerset.The full story is on the Daily Mail website, obviously:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107737/Cannabis-farm-bunker-farmers-field-discovered-police-thermal-imaging-camera.html
Archive | February, 2012
Oh, the grand old Duke of Dinmore,He had ten thousand sheep;He marched them up to the top of the hay bale hill,And he marched them down againThanks to Rob Tanaluk who captured this snap near Dinmore Manor, Herefordshire while he was out and about delivering animal feeds for Maelor Feeds.The sheep seem remarkably calm - I’ve got vertigo […]
My favourite story on the BBC website today, is a report that one of the world’s oldest recorded sheep has died after falling off a cliff.Rather an undignified end, but what a good innings. The blackface ewe from Lewis in the Outer Hebrides was weaing an ear tag which put its age at 25 years and 11 months.Apparently […]
Hats off to the Nottingham agrics who created this farming inspired parody of the Coldplay hit ‘Paradise’.The official video by Coldplay features an elephant who escapes from the zoo to go and meet its mates. A group of cunning Nottingham agrics decided to replace the elephant with a cow to promote Nottingham Uni as a […]
Roll up, roll up, get your peasants at a knock-down price. When they’re gone they’re gone…
Apparently this is Britain’s tiniest calf, weighing in at a very delicate 33lbs. Apparently she’s even smaller than one of the farm dogs.The full story is (where else) on the Daily Mail website.
Police gave their assistance to a court escape with a difference last week – after a bird of prey became trapped inside a legal building. The sparrowhawk had flown inside Blackburn Magistrates Court in pursuit of a pigeon but became disorientated and could not get back out. Lancashire Constabulary’s wildlife officer Mark Thomas was called […]
Hundreds of sheep are going to be squeezing through letterboxes and thudding onto doormats in British households next week. No, it’s not some sort of elaborate ‘adopt-a-sheep’ scheme – it’s a new set of stamps released by the Royal Mail. Illustrations of six British sheep breeds are gracing a new series of stamps which go on sale […]
As job titles go, ‘Potato Ambassador’ is pretty cool. Looks a bit fancier on the CV than ‘farmer’ anyway.The job description was dreamt up by the Potato Council, who are searching for a crack team of growers across England and Wales to help promote potatoes to British consumers.After a rigorous selection process and some media training, the new crop of Potato Ambassadors will be invited […]
I often think eggs are the unsung heroes of the kitchen. They might not look as exotic as a tiger prawn, have the irrestistable smell of freshly baked bread, nor the instant gratification of a chocolate bar, but for sheer versatility they deserve a cookery knighthood.They bind cakes, batters and burgers (remember that when youre […]
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Opinion: The pigeons had the last laugh August 29, 2015
- Farm Chef recipe: Caramelised plum tart August 28, 2015
- Opinion: Farmer blockades? Why you can count me out August 28, 2015
- Farming: 11 professions rolled into one August 27, 2015
- Farmer on the Dart Estuary diversifies with boatyard August 26, 2015
- RT @FarmersWeekly: Why every farmer deserves respect #teamdairy #teamsheep #clubhectare http://t.co/0dSGUXnh5c 05:11:28 PM October 10, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @BritishFlowers Can I just check you guys took this pic please? We'll try to squeeze it into FW... 11:30:52 AM September 11, 2014 from Twitter Web Client in reply to BritishFlowers ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Exaggerating? Swearing? Itching? 13 tell-tale signs that harvest is in full swing #harvest14 http://t.co/2ucAa4G1l7 http://t.co/3Y48wrR3sO 09:00:17 PM August 14, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @FarmersWeekly: See what farmers thought about the first episode of #firsttimefarmers (link correct this time) http://t.co/ze1b6hMIY6 02:54:29 PM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @garethbarlow Any chance you could give me a quick call pls Gareth... 020 8652 4928. 10:57:39 AM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app in reply to GarethBarlow ReplyRetweetFavorite