Before lashings of rain brought combining to an abrupt halt, Farmers Weekly hit the road with a high-definition drone to capture some aerial highlights of this year’s harvest.
We started in Hampshire and finished in the Welsh borders, filming farmers cutting wheat, barley, oilseed rape, oats and thatching straw, as well as a spot of planting with a New Zealand-built Cross Slot drill.
In total we visited 11 farms. Here they are in order of appearance:
1. Wheatsheaf Farming Company, Southwood Farm, Dummer, Hampshire
Cutting Irina spring barley with a Case-IH 9230, Relay winter wheat with a Claas Lexion 760TT and drilling cover crops with a Cross Slot drill.
2. RT and PD Rawlings, Greete Court Farm, Greete, Shropshire
Cutting Cassia winter barley with a Massey Ferguson 32.
3. Hagbourne Farm Partners, Hagbourne Hill Farm, West Hagbourne, Oxfordshire
Cutting Crusoe milling wheat with a New Holland CX8080.
4. Turgis Court Farm, Stratfield Turgis, Hampshire
Cutting triticale thatching straw with John Deere 1065 combines fitted with combing headers.
5. PR Basford, Kyre Green Farm, Kyre, Worcestershire
Cutting Gerald oats with a Laverda 3790 and New Holland TX68 Plus.
6. DC and RJ Allen, Zulu Farm, Harwell, Oxfordshire
Cutting Incentive oilseed rape with a Claas Lexion 780TT.
7. Martin Desborough Contracting working at Aymestry, Herefordshire.
Picking up third-cut silage with a Lely Tigo 50R forage wagon.
8. Sulham Estate, Sulham, Berkshire
Cutting Claire winter wheat with a John Deere T560 Hillmaster.
9. J Gwilliam and Sons, Upper Farm, Guilden Down, Shropshire
Cutting Harper oilseed rape with a Massey Fergsuon Beta 7260.
10. Rockhill Farm, Greete, Shropshire
Cutting JB Diego wheat with a John Deere 2254.
11. Netherwood Manor, Stoke Bliss, Worcestershire
Cutting Gerald oats with a Claas Lexion 750 Montana.