Malaysia launches mass cull of pigs
MALAYSIA has launched a mass cull of its pig population in a bid to stop the Japanese encephalitis virus spreading.
Some 64 people have died from the virus, which is passed to humans by mosquitoes.
The Malaysian pig industry, which has some of the biggest pig farms in south-east Asia, is worth £246 million in annual sales.
- Malaysians step up pig slaughter, FWi, 26 March, 1999
- Malaysia kills 300,000 pigs, FWi, 22 March, 1999
- Malaysian military slaughter 64,000 pigs, FWi, 19 March, 1999
- Malaysia struggles with pig disease, FWi, 09 March, 1999
- The Guardian 30/03/99 page 19