Morley boasts organics support
GOVERNMENT support for organic food production stands at £15 million over the last six months, a sum which has helped 700 farmers.
These figures come from Elliot Morley, the minister for fisheries and the countryside, writing in The Independent.
He says another £9m has been earmarked for the sector and also points out that several million pounds is being devoted to research on production methods.
He also points out that the government has spent just £3m on genetic research.
- No more cash for organic conversion, FWi, 03 August 1999.
- Soil Association slams `second-rate organic scheme, FWi, 14 April 1999
- Help us go organic with cash, farmers tell MAFF FWi, 07 July 1998
- Britain “lags” Europe on organic farming – Fischler, FWi, 24 September 1997
- The Times 30/09/99 page 14
- The Independent 30/09/99 page 9
- The Daily Telegraph 30/09/99 page 7
- The Independent 30/09/99 page 2 (Thursday Review)