Farmers reminded of need to re-register waste exemptions

Farmers will need to re-register for their agricultural waste exemptions over the next few months, as many will find their current exemptions are due to expire this autumn.

The Environment Agency introduced its current exemption system in 2013, with each exemption valid for three years.

“Many farmers will have permits due to expire as many were re-registered in October 2016,” said Sarah Reece, a chartered surveyor at the Shrewsbury office of Berrys.

See also: Farmers urged to re-register for ag waste exemptions 

“The Environment Agency should issue reminders a month before the exemption expires – and they can then be re-registered online.”

Common exemptions for which farmers may need to re-register include burning waste in the open (D7) and using waste for a specified purpose (U8), which covers the use of tyres on a silage clamp.

The exemption for the use of waste in construction (U1) is another that many farmers are likely to hold, as it enables farm businesses to use rubble to maintain paths and roads.

Farmers are eligible to apply for a free exemption so long as they meet the limits and conditions specified by the Environment Agency and the operation it covers does not harm the environment or human health.

Farmers who cannot meet the conditions and limits set out, must apply for an environmental permit.

You can re-register an exemption or apply for a new one on the Environment Agency website.

Futures markets and commodity risk management online course:

  • Risk management strategies for a more predictable financial performance
  • Educated conversations when collaborating with your advisors
  • Negotiate better prices with your grain merchants

View course