Lean beef brisket makes a perfect one pot dish. This brisket and butternut squash pot is simple to put together and the flavours and colour are intense.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 750g (1½lb) diced beef brisket
- 1 sliced red onion
- 1 crushed clove garlic
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 stalks thyme
- 600ml (20 fl oz) beef stock
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 25g (1oz) plain flour
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F). Then on the hob in a flameproof casserole dish heat the oil and brown the beef.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Remove from the heat, add the mustard powder with the flour and mix to absorb the oil. Slowly stir in the stock.
- Replace on the heat and bring to the boil, then simmer for one minute. Put the meat back in the pan with the thyme, bay leaves and Worcestershire sauce and mix all together. Cover the casserole dish and place in the oven for 1½ hours.
- Remove from the oven and place the cubed and deseeded butternut squash into the dish and stir in gently.
- Replace the lid and return to the oven for a further ½ hour and then serve.
For more recipes
See our Farm Chef page