Our new chef Mary-Ann Beaty shares some recipes perfect for the harvest season
Chicken and Bacon Roulade
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 onion
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 red pepper
- Handful of spinach/Swiss chard
- 1 carrot
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2oz grated cheddar cheese
- 3oz cooked chicken, chopped
- 3oz cooked ham, chopped
- 8oz cream cheese with chives or chilli or plain
- Salt and pepper
- Swiss roll tin, greased and lined
TIP The roulade base is quick and easy and can be filled with anything you fancy. If you don’t have cream cheese, a thick white sauce is delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6/Fan 180C.
- Finely chop and dry fry (or use a little rapeseed oil) all the veg until soft and leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Beat the egg yolks and add the Worcestershire sauce, cheese, half the cooked veg and salt and pepper. Fold into the egg whites.
- Turn on to the prepared tin and bake for approx 15min or until firm to touch.
- Meanwhile add the chicken, bacon and cream cheese to the remaining veg and season to taste. Heat slightly to form a thick sauce.
- Turn out the cooked and still warm roulade on to a tea towel or greaseproof paper and spread the sauce all over.
- Roll from the long side using the tea towel to help you.Serve warm or, for picnics/packed teas, allow to cool and cut into chunky slices.
See more Farm Chef recipes