Pies offer great versatility, as do their contents – do some batch cooking at the start of the week or month and freeze so your family have a healthy home-cooked meal that’s also convenient.
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 100g (3½oz) button mushrooms
- 25g (1oz) plain flour
- 450ml (15fl oz) milk
- 450g (1lb) boneless cooked chicken, cut into strips
- 175g (6oz) broccoli, blanched
- Grated rind of ½ lemon
- 30ml (1fl oz) single cream
- Salt and pepper
- 225g (8oz) puff pastry
- Melt the butter in a large pan and lightly fry carrots, onions, mushrooms for 8 minutes, stirring.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually add milk. Stir continuously while the sauce thickens until smooth, then simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken, broccoli, lemon rind and cream to the sauce and season. Pour into a 1.1-litre (2-pint) pie dish.
- Roll out the pasty to fit the dish. Make sure it is sealed. Use leftover pastry to decorate the top of pie.
- Brush with milk to glaze the pastry.
- Bake at 200C/gas 6 for 25 minutes and so the pastry is golden.
- Serve with new potatoes.
See more recipes from our Farm Chef