This month, Farm Chef Mary-Ann Beaty wanted to share some recipes that use a lot of milk, in support of the British Dairy industry.
Mary-Ann’s favourite recipe of the month is this hot milk cake, an American recipe she found and adapted.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 4 eggs
- 255g granulated sugar
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 255g self-raising flour
- 2tsp (level) baking powder
- 230ml milk
- 30g butter
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
- Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric whisk until pale and creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Gently heat the milk and butter either in a pan or microwave, until the butter melts.
- Beat into the egg mixture.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and beat until smooth. (I tried it with a spoon but found short bursts of the whisk was better.)
- Pour into two 23cm greased and lined round cake tins.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly then turn out on to a cooling rack. Fill and enjoy.