Now’s the time to enjoy the best of British summer berries. This classic dessert is always a crowd-pleaser – served in screw-top jam jars it makes a sweet treat for picnics, too.
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours
- 225g (8oz) strawberries, hulled
- 100g (4oz) raspberries
- 2 egg whites
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 300ml (1/2 pint) double cream
- 200g (7oz) 0.1% fat fromage frais
- 225g (8oz) strawberries, hulled, roughly chopped
- 50g (2oz) raspberries
TIP – Make up the meringues and fruit purée the day before, then layer with whipped cream and extra fruit in jam jars and screw on the lids.
- Preheat the oven to 110C / 225F / gas mark 1/4.
- Line a large baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
- Purée the strawberries and raspberries in a liquidiser or food processor then press through a sieve. This is your berry purée.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large clean dry bowl until they form stiff moist-looking peaks and you feel confident that if the bowl was turned upside down the egg whites wouldn’t fall out. Gradually whisk in the sugar, a teaspoonful at a time, then continue whisking for a minute or two until really thick and glossy.
- Add 2 tbsp of the berry purée, then very briefly mix until marbled.
- Spoon into a large piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm (3/4in) plain piping tube, pipe small rounds on to the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until the meringues can be easily lifted off the paper. Leave to cool.
- To serve, lightly whip the cream until it forms soft swirls then fold in the fromage frais. Crumble the meringues then layer in jam jars or plastic containers with the remaining berry purée and diced strawberries. Decorate with the raspberries.
- Add the lids and keep in the fridge until ready to serve or transport to a picnic in a coolbag with an ice block. Serve within 1½ hours.
Thanks to Seasonal Berries for the recipe.
See more Farm Chef recipes