Qualifications needed to help on the farm

Some qualifications are essential. Below is a list of the most important, but this may vary depending on the farming operation.

• Full UK driving licence (or category F tractor test for 16-year-olds and over, conditions apply).

• Rough terrain telehandler certificate – loading/unloading lorries or trailers, manoeuvring fertiliser, stacking bales are all frequent events on many farms.

• Spraying certificates – PA1 (safe use of pesticides), PA2 (ground crop sprayers) and PA6 (hand-held applicator) certificates will be required if the student is to carry out certain spray operations.

• Trailer test – if you passed a car driving test on or after 1 January 1997, you’re limited to vehicles up to 3.5t, towing a trailer up to 750kg, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5t. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a trailer combination that exceeds these weight limits.

• Chainsaw certificate – low in importance but in some cases might be high on the agenda.

• Combine course – not essential, but it is a useful starting point for a potential combine driver

Lantra course finder. Over 3,000 training courses nationwide that can be searched by type and postcode.