10 March 1999
Apple activists picket restaurant
APPLE growers picketed one of the countrys top restaurants yesterday (Tuesday) after the chef disparaged the British Bramley variety of the fruit on television.
Gordon Ramsay, one of a new generation of “angry young chefs”, substituted French Granny Smith apples for Bramley apples during his television programme.
Yesterday 20 chanting protesters from the Bramley Apple Campaign Group picketed his Chelsea, London restaurant.
The apple growers claim that Mr Ramsey, who they had paid £3500 to promote British apples, also insulted the chairman of the Bramley Apple Growers Association.
- Global apple production soars, FWi, 04 March, 1999
- Cox campaign urges help for stricken growers, FWi, 06 September, 1997
- Asda to help struggling UK apple growers, FWi, 26 August, 1997
- The Independent 10/03/02/99 page 2
- The Daily Telegraph 10/03/99 page 2 (Bulletin)