Cows killed after faulty lamp starts barn blaze

Three cows and a calf died following a barn fire on a Dorset dairy farm.

The four animals, three heifers and one bull calf, suffered smoke inhalation and died after a defective heat lamp set 12 bales on fire.

Several other young calves were treated for minor burns.  

Fire crews from Dorset Fire and Rescue Service were alerted to the incident at Eweleaze Farm in Martinstown at 5.25am on Sunday (11 January).

See also: Fires cost farming industry more than rural crime

Staff reacted quickly to save most of the 70 to 80 cows housed in the barn. They removed the burning bales from the barn before crews arrived on the scene.

Firefighters used two hose jets to bring the flames under control by 6am.

See more