01 April 1999
MPs criticise plans to fund food agency
MPs have condemned plans by the government to fund the new Food Standards Agency by taxing half a million food retailers.
Agriculture Minister Nick Brown outlined in January the governments plans to raise a £90 a year flat-rate levy on all premises selling food.
But the MPs say in a report that the flat-rate levy is “contrary to natural justice” and have urged the government to implement a graduated system.
- Supermarkets to pay bigger levy?, FWi, 30 March, 1999
- Government retreats from £90 food levy, FWi, 29 March, 1999
- Blair to backtrack on food agency funding? FWi, 04 February, 1999
- Retailers to pay for Food Standards Agency, FWi, 27 January, 1999
- The Daily Telegraph 01/04/99 page 18
- The Herald 01/04/99 page 10