Planning a barbecue? Farmers Weekly Farm Chef Mary-Ann Beaty explains how to make a delicious barbecue sauce, that can be served alongside meats as a tasty addition.
Prep 15 mins
1 large onion (chopped)
2 tbsp demerara sugar
2 tsp mustard powder
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp tomato puree
2 tbsp malt vinegar
1. Melt the butter gently in a pan.
2. Add the onion and cook until soft.
3. Add the tomato puree and cook for a few minutes.
4. Mix all the other ingredients with the water and add to the pan.
5. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until the desired thickness is achieved.
6. If using this as a “cook-in” sauce, add your meat with the onions to brown and when all the other ingredients are added, bring to a simmer, cover and cook as required.