Need something to mop up any leftover sauce after a good meal? Farm Chef writer Mary Ann-Beaty has the perfect solution with her no-knead cheese bread.
See also: Farm Chef recipe: Salted caramel pavlova
Preparation 15 minutes plus 90 minutes to rise
Cooking time 45 minutes
- 450g strong bread flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp dried mustard powder
- 1 x 7g sachet of dried yeast
- 175g hard cheese (I used Berkswell hard ewe’s-milk cheese), grated
- 4 medium eggs
- 240ml of milk
- Heat oven 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together with your hands.
- Combine the eggs and milk and add to the dry mix.
- Using your hands, mix well until it feels elastic.
- Butter a 900g loaf tin and pour in the mixture (it is quite wet).
- Cover in plastic bag and seal and leave to rise for at least one-and-a-half hours.
- Heat the oven, take the tin out of the bag and cook for 45 minutes.