With spring management of crops and grassland becoming a priority after this winter’s flooding we’re offering some timely advice to help build on your expertise.
Farmers Weekly has a dedicated online e-learning platform offering detailed advice to those involved in agriculture – from students to farmworkers, farmers to farm managers, advisors to consultants, as well as members of the trade. You can also earn CPD points by reading the academies and taking the tests.
Here are the top five academies we recommend for you this month:
- Spring grassland management: Well-managed, correctly fertilised grassland containing modern varieties can produce 10-11t of dry matter/ha when grazed. This potential can be compromised by compaction, weeds or limited crop nutrition. Get tips and advice on how to get the most from your grass this spring.
- Oilseed rape management: It may give you comfort to see a thick crop of oilseed rape coming out of the winter, but it won’t necessarily give you the yield you are hoping for. Replicated trials have shown that the yield difference from a crop where the canopy has been managed correctly is up to 0.4t/ha. Careful canopy management is crucial to high oilseed rape yields. Get advice on management this spring.
- Leadership: Having good leadership in your farming business will inevitably have an influence on the bottom line. Find out what skills you need to lead a successful team.
- Health and safety: Every year accidents involving livestock account for a large proportion of farm fatalities, while the number of injuries incurred while handling livestock runs to nearly a 1,000. Inappropriate handling facilities are often to blame. Don’t become the next victim and refresh your knowledge on key skills when handling stock.
- Safe fertiliser storage: Making sure your fertiliser is secured in a safe place is vital with increasing numbers of fertiliser thefts fuelled by its high price. Get some top safety advice.