#Calfmatters is an educational resource for farmers, vets and advisors alike.
Since it was launched with the www.calfmatters.com website two years ago, the initiative has grown to include the annual #Calfmatters health survey, various short videos giving advice to farmers on many aspects of calf rearing from buildings to nutrition, as well as a series of informative articles in the farming press and on-farm meetings and talks.
The first ever #Calfmatters roundtable meeting took place in late 2018 attended by vets, farmers and policy makers. The output of the discussion was the #Calfmatters Calf Health and Welfare Blueprint, an at-a-glance guide for farmers and vets that can take pride of place in the calf shed or farm office. Copies of the Blueprint are available from the #Calfmatters website.
For more information visit our website #Calfmatters
The annual Calfmatters survey is now live at www.calfmatters-survey.co.uk.
Results will be presented at UK Dairy Day, so why not take a few minutes now to take part and make your opinion count?
There are also 20 Calf Kits up for grabs, so head on over and tell the organisers how you look after the health and wellbeing of your calves.
Previous surveys have revealed that:
- Almost 40% of respondents admitted that 10%+ of their calves had been unwell with pneumonia and were treated accordingly
- 66% of producers do not vaccinate against BRD (bovine respiratory disease)
When asked what the impact of pneumonia is, responses in order of popularity were:
- Increased vet and medicine costs
- Loss of income from less productive calves
- Loss of income from dead/culled calves
- Personal/staff stress from additional management/costs
- Increased staff time and costs
- Increased time to target finishing/bulling weight
Do you agree with these? Tell us now at calfmatters-survey.co.uk and then come along to the first discussion of the results at the UK Dairy Day or visit the stand number H219.