David of the ficticious Brookfield Farm, Ambridge had a rude awakening last week when wife Ruth called early in the morning to tell him that four cows were dead in the field.
After thankfully establishing that the cows had not died from anthrax David spotted some bags that had been fly-tipped in the corner of the field.
The bags were full of yew clippings – prompting vet Alistair to immediately diagnose that the cows died from yew poisoning.
Michael Seals, chairman of NFSCo, said: “I am glad to see that my farming colleagues of Brookfield Farm are prepared to make use of the scheme rather than burying their heads (and fallen stock) in the sand and hoping the problem will disappear once they switch the radio off.
“However, I am a bit concerned that they don’t appear to have paid their membership fee for this year and will be requesting that the BBC pays up on their behalf!”