21 April 1999
After pigs and goats, Malaysians cull dogs
MALAYSIA has begun killing dogs in an attempt to curb a rare brain virus that has claimed 100 lives.
Authorities originally believed pigs were the carriers for two strains of viral encephalitis that broke out in October.
More than 1 million pigs have since been slaughtered, but officials now admit stray dogs have contracted the virus.
- Now Malaysia culls goats, FWi, yesterday (20 April, 1999)
- Human toll rises despite Malaysian pig slaughter, FWi, 01 April, 1999
- Malaysia launches mass cull of pigs, FWi, 30 March, 1999
- Malaysians step up pig slaughter, FWi, 26 March, 1999
- Malaysia kills 300,000 pigs, FWi, 22 March, 1999
- Malaysian military slaughter 64,000 pigs, FWi, 19 March, 1999
- Malaysia struggles with pig disease, FWi, 09 March, 1999
- The Times 21/04/02/99 page 18 (World in Brief)
- The Herald 21/04/99 page 17