Nuts n Bolts
• ONE of Britains leading sprayer manufacturers, Gem, has been bought by Case as part of its plans to build a full line of equipment to support its tractor and combine ranges.
In the UK, the sprayers will continue to be sold under the Gem name through the existing dealer network. But equivalent models in Case colours are likely to join them next year.
• NEW HOLLAND is to acquire a substantial shareholding in the Canada-based cultivation equipment and air seeder manufacturing company, Flexi-coil. John Bradley, managing director of Flexi-coil (UK) believes his company will benefit from the association which offers a gateway to new world markets.
• IN THE first six months of this year, registrations of agricultural tractors over 40hp were 14.1% down on the same period in 1996. The average horsepower of units now tops 104hp. Despite this 2.3% increase, total horsepower sold from Jan-June was 12.1% down. With the election and the budget behind us, the AEA believes that the market should strengthen mildly, especially with the doubling of first year capital allowances for smaller businesses.
• HYDRO Nutrition is recruiting farmers to bale, wrap and inject straw with Nutramon ammonia. As contractor/agents they will be allocated a guaranteed business area.
The companys ammonia application unit, with a 12,000 litre stainless steel, is designed for road use with a Fastrac or similar. It costs £13,400 or can be leased under an agreement which spreads payment over five years.
• THE Delta pump from Berthoud is a dual output sprayer pump capable of high output spraying and tank agitation simultaneously. Based on a twin turbine, it provides two outputs; one low pressure, calibrated to maintain a constant agitation of the spray-tank contents, without affecting the second medium/high pressure output responsible for sustaining pressure in the spray lines.
Unlike conventional pumps with parts which need regular replacement, the Delta Pump has only one moving part. It comes as standard with the DP Tronic and Gestronic computerised sprayer control systems.