17 April 2000
French fear ‘third way’ BSE source
FRENCH farming minister Jean Glavany believes BSE could be transmitted by a mysterious “third way”, reports The Express.
This “third way” is said to be unconnected with contaminated feed or mother-to-calf infection.
Mr Glavany admitted BSE could be on the increase in his country, and said experts were looking for new factors for its continuing spread.
The Daily Telegraph reports French foreign minister Hubert Vedrine saying that suggestions of this “mystery factor” make it less likely that France will lift its ban on British beef.
France refuses to take British beef, ruled safe by the EU last year, and is being taken to the European Court.
- French hiding BSE cases, FWi, 23 February, 2000
- France panics over past beef imports, FWi, 09 February, 2000
- Frances fourth BSE case of 2000, FWi, 31 January, 2000
- Nation-wide BSE checks for French cattle, FWi, 24 January, 2000
- The Daily Telegraph, 17/04/00, page 4
- The Express, 17/04/00, page 6
- Financial Times, 17/04/00, page 4