05 August 1999
Germany threatened over beef ban
THE European Union is threatening to take legal action against Germany over its refusal to lift a ban on the import of British beef.
Germany says it is maintaining the ban, which was lifted by the EU from 1 August, because of concerns that EU regulations were not stringent enough.
It said it wanted time to get a “100% guarantee” from the incoming European Commission that British beef imports were safe.
The European Commission said it had made clear to Germany that it was legally obliged to come into line with the EU ruling.
It said it would take legal action unless did not comply.
- Bans for your own good, say Germans, FWi, yesterday (04 August, 1999)
- Germany, France keep beef ban, FWi, yesterday (04 August, 1999)
- The Times 05/08/99 page 6
- The Independent 05/08/99 page 6
- Financial Times 05/08/99 page 8, page 19 (Editorial)
- The Guardian 05/08/99 page 2
- The Daily Telegraph 05/08/99 page 15, page 22 (Comment)