12 April 1999
Government to shake up GM committee
THE government has announced a shake-up of the committee that approves releases of genetically-modified crops to the environment.
Environment minister Michael Meacher is to replace 10 of the committees 13 members with independent experts in June.
The change follows criticism that the Advisory Committee on Releases to the Environment (ACRE) is biased in favour of the biotechnology industry.
Mr Meacher plans to change some of the food scientists with experts in wildlife, plant life and farming methods.
- The Times 12/04/02/99 page 2 (News in Brief)
- The Independent 12/04/02/99 page 5
- Financial Times 12/04/99 page 1
- The Guardian 12/04/99 page 9
- The Daily Telegraph 12/04/99 page 1