Judges claimed it had best flavour and be the quickest to cook. But the judging panel emphasised all three birds were excellent quality and any of them would make a memorable Christmas dinner.
Awards organisers decided to split the all-important Christmas category into three parts to showcase premium whole birds such as organic, free range and special breeds, plus traditional family birds and convenience products.
Lincs Turkeys won the trophy for a family favourite bird with its fresh Lincolnshire turkey. Judges said the turkey would create a real wow factor when carried to the Christmas table. Tesco was named Christmas Convenience winner for a ready-to-cook thigh and breast joint.
Kellys also picked up the trophy for Best Innovation for its ground-breaking Demi KellyBronze – a whole turkey chopped down the middle to give small families and couples the “KellyBronze experience” with minimal waste. The judges praised the idea, saying said the Demi KellyBronze would allow small families to enjoy all the benefits of a whole bird, including gravy made from the giblets.
Copas won the Best Accompaniment trophy for the second year running, this time with its new Very Very Special Coronation Sauce with Apricots, aimed at transforming leftovers into delicious meals.
Sainsbury’s scooped the coveted British Turkey Retailer of the Year title, being declared the winner for the sheer variety of its products, from free-range steaks to basic drumsticks. But they also requested a special mention for Waitrose for its clear labelling flagging up usage, nutrition and provenance.
Catriona Lee, marketing spokesman of the British Turkey Federation, said: “The quality and variety of British turkey products now available all year round on the supermarket shelves is at an all-time high.”
- Ready-to-eat – Adlington Traditional Oak-Smoked Turkey
- Christmas turkey – Lincs Turkeys Fresh Lincolnshire Turkey
- Christmas convenience – Tesco Christmas Fresh Family Turkey Breast and Thigh Joint
- Christmas premium – Kelly Turkeys KellyBronze Turkey
- Barbecue product – Asda Turkey Sausages
- Branded product – Lincs Turkeys Fresh Lincolnshire Turkey
- Innovative product – Kelly Turkeys DemiBronze Turkey
- Accompaniment – Copas Very Very Special Coronation Sauce with Apricots
- Added value – Bernard Matthews Big Green Tick Seeded Steaks
- Best primary product – Waitrose Fresh Lincolnshire Free Range Turkey
- Best catering product – Loxton Food Company Turkey Escalope
- Retailer of the Year – Sainsbury’s