13 May 1999
Malaysia kills more pigs in virus battle
MALAYSIA has launched a cull of a further 4000 pigs in a desperate battle to control a mystery virus that has killed more than 100 people.
The latest cull will take to over 1m the number of pigs slaughtered as authorities try to eradicate the virus.
The killer virus was first attributed to Japanese encephalitis transmitted from pigs to mosquitoes to humans.
- Human toll rises despite Malaysian pig slaughter, FWi, 01 April, 1999
- Malaysia launches mass cull of pigs, FWi, 30 March, 1999
- Malaysians step up pig slaughter, FWi, 26 March, 1999
- Malaysia kills 300,000 pigs, FWi, 22 March, 1999
- Malaysian military slaughter 64,000 pigs, FWi, 19 March, 1999
- Malaysia struggles with pig disease, FWi, 09 March, 1999
- The Daily Telegraph 13/05/99 page 23