05 August 1998
MPs clash with officials on
GM catering ban
MPs clashed with Commons officials after it was discovered that the ban on genetically modified food in House of Commons restaurants was imposed by senior catering staff.
MPs said the decision should have been taken by members of their catering committee and not by officials.
Ms Sue Harrison, director of catering services, confirmed she took the decision after the negative publicity about such foods earlier this year.
Lindsay Hoyle, Labour MP for Chorley and a member of the all-party Commons Catering Committee, said the restriction had never been discussed by MPs. He had been unaware of the ban and “appalled” by what had happened.
- GM food banned from House of Commons, FWi, yesterday (4 August)
- The Times 05/08/98 page 6
- The Independent 05/08/98 page 7
- The Guardian 05/08/98 page 8
- The Daily Telegraph 05/08/98 page 6