26 August 1999
Murder-charge farmer attracts more support
TONY MARTIN, the Norfolk farmer charged with murder, continues to attract support and sympathy in the letters page of The Times and The Daily Telegraph.
Mr Martin was charged and remanded in custody following the death of a 16-year-old suspected burglar who was shot on a farm at Emneth, near Wisbech, last Friday.
In The Times, one letter-writer takes the view that “no homeowner should be punished for protecting his life, family and property”.
One writer to The Daily Telegraph suggests that the law should be rewritten so people forfeit their rights as soon as they embark on a criminal outing.
- Support for murder-charge farmer, FWi, yesterday (25 August, 1999)
- Norfolk farmer charged with murder, FWi, 24 August, 1999
- Farmer held after youth shot dead, FWi, 23 August, 1999
- The Times 26/08/99 page 21 (Letters)
- The Daily Telegraph 26/08/99 page 21 (Letters)