07 May 1999
Northern Foods bans GM foods
NORTHERN Foods is removing genetically modified (GM) ingredients from its brands following consumer fears over their safety.
The company is one of Britains biggest food manufacturers and supplies all the major supermarkets.
Northerns ban, which has not been announced, follows similar bans by Tesco, Sainsburys and Safeway.
It is a potential embarrassment for the government because Northern chairman Lord Haskins is a well-known friend of Prime Minister Tony Blair.
- Now Cadbury abandons GMs, FWi, 30 April, 1999
- Nestlé latest to ban GMs, FWi, 29 April, 1999
- Food giants join GM ban, FWi, 28 April, 1999
- Waitrose removes GM ingredients, FWi, 29 March, 1999
- More supermarkets back GM-free food, FWi, 18 March, 1999
- Consumers say no to GM food, FWi, 20 October, 1998
- The Independent 07/05/99 page 11