23 November 1998
US-EU banana battle reaches WTO
THE World Trade Organisations dispute settlement body will this week consider the US threat of trade retaliation against the European Unions import policy on bananas.
The US has threatened to impose penal duties on European Union (EU) imports unless the EU ends the preferential access given to bananas from former colonies of Britain and France.
- “Banana war will go USAs way”, FWi, 18 November, 1998
- USA backs off from EU banana war, FWi, 17 November, 1998
- Santer pleads to Clinton over banana battle, FWi, 12 November, 1998
- USA threatens 100% tariff on EU goods as banana war hots up, FWi, 11 November, 1998
- EU threatens trade war with USA, FWi, 10 November, 1998
- EU and US head for battle over bananas, FWi, 09 November, 1998
- Financial Times 23/11/98 page 46 (FT Guide to the Week)