Watson Farms, Ards Peninsula, County Down
- Farm size: 285ha split across three units
- Annual rainfall: 810mm
- Soil type: Sandy to medium loam
Making the business more manageable is at the heart of a move to Hereford and Stabiliser genetics at Watson Farms. The less temperamental, early-maturing breed will make the job easier for staff and reduce finishing times. Mr Watson aims to cut all bought-in protein costs by adding beans to the rotation. Increasing organic matter and regular testing are part of a continuing process of soil improvement, too, and he has plans to introduce multispecies swards and cover crops.
- Recruiting and retaining farm staff
- Restructuring suckler herd
- Improving business resilience