Farmers Apprentice, the competition offering young people the opportunity of a lifetime, is back and open for entries.
Farmers Weekly is searching for the best young talent from all walks of life. Whether you’ve come from a farming background or not, we want to hear from you.
We want to attract new blood into the agriculture industry, so what’s important is that you are passionate about food and farming and have the potential to make a difference to the world of agriculture.
We’ve teamed up with Bayer CropScience, The Co-operative, New Holland Agriculture and Farmcare, to find the perfect person for this role.
That person will win the life-changing prize of a £25,000 one-year placement with one of Britain’s biggest farming operations, Farmcare.
Farmcare is one of the UK’s biggest farmers and produces high-quality cereals, fruits and vegetables on a mixture of farming estates spanning some 50,000 acres across England and Wales.
We are looking for 10 young people to take part in a week-long “bootcamp” next July (2016), where participants will work on a series of farming task and challenges.
The winner will be picked by the judging team at the end of the week.
If you’re up for a challenge and you are brimming with ideas and passion for farming, then register your interest now.
If you know someone who fits the bill, then share this story with them.
You can find out more about the competition on our Farmers Apprentice website.
Find out how to apply and see our bootcamp video below.
Who should apply?
Anyone with ambitions for a career in agriculture should apply, whether from a farming background or not.
We are particularly interested in applicants between the ages of 18 and 25 with the following skills:
- A degree in any science or business discipline, such as engineering, biology, geography, economics or IT, or agriculture
- Commercial awareness – an understanding of basic business skills and strategy
- Practical understanding of farm management and operations.
The winner of Farmers Apprentice will be invited to take up a unique placement with Farmcare, receiving a competitive remuneration package worth £25,000, including training and experience across the Farmcare business.
How to enter
- If you are aged between 18 and 25 on 20 July 2016, Register your interest now.
- Put the bootcamp dates in your diary. You need to be available from 10-15 July 2016
- Get your camera or phone out and tell us in 60 seconds why you’re awesome and the answer to the challenges facing British agriculture
- Upload your video to YouTube by 30 May and send us the link to www.farmersapprentice.co.uk
- Polish up your CV – we will be asking the applicants with the best video entry to send us a covering letter and CV
- Scrub up well – those that have further impressed on paper will be invited to an assessment day on 16 June, where they will be interviewed for selection to attend bootcamp
What to expect from bootcamp
Farmers Apprentice partners
Working together to inspire bright young talent into the industry and showcase the breadth of career opportunities.