Six new AHDB Monitor Farm hosts have been appointed to the cereals and oilseeds network, helping farmers from across the UK share knowledge and information to improve their businesses.
The new farms, including one in Wales and one in Northern Ireland, bring the total number of Monitor Farms to 20.
Collaboration, productivity and business resilience are likely to strongly feature in the hosts’ three-year programme, as farmers prepare themselves for the many industry changes that lie ahead.
AHDB’s interim head of knowledge exchange, Graham Bannister, who co-ordinates the programme for arable farmers, notes that over the next three years the farming industry will experience large changes in policy, and trade and monitor farms will be a vital part of UK farming’s toolbox.
“We know from our annual survey that those who attend the meetings find the programme helps them to improve their business decision making. By being involved at this crucial time farmers can gain independent expert advice as well as sharing knowledge and experiences with their local peers.”
He adds that the Monitor Farm ethos of “farmer-led, farmer-driven” is key to its success, with those who get involved in their local Monitor Farm programme helping to drive and direct the industry into a successful future.
The new Monitor Farm hosts were selected by AHDB staff and board members and will be supported by a steering group of other local farmers and agronomists which sets the agenda to ensure topics are relevant for the local farming community.
The new Monitor Farms are:
- Vale of Glamorgan – Dan Moore, R&L Anthony
- Cheltenham – Andrew Walters, Boddington House Farm
- Cambridge – Matt Redman, Oldfield Farm
- Limavady – Alistair Craig, Carsehall Farm
- Bucks and Beds – Will MacLennan, Dollars Grove Farm
- Thame – Garth Weston, Sydenham Grange Farm
Each of the new Monitor Farms will have a launch event this summer, with the relevant meeting dates below:
- Vale of Glamorgan Monitor Farm meeting: 16 June
- Cheltenham Monitor Farm meeting: 21 June
- Cambridge Monitor Farm meeting: 5 July
- Limavady Monitor Farm meeting: 28 June
- Bucks and Beds Monitor Farm meeting: End June tbc
- Thame Monitor Farm meeting: 6 July 2022
To find out more or to register to attend one of the meetings visit ahdb.org.uk/events