Bucks grower Charlie Edgley was “pleasantly surprised” by the average harvest due to the dry weather he had in June and July in High Wycombe.
Yields of continuous wheat averaged 8t/ha (3.2t/acre) from 680ha (1700acres). Soissons yielded just under 7.5t/ha (3t/acre), Malacca 8.5t/ha (3.4t/acre), Sokrates 9t/ha (3.6t/acre), Solstice 8t/ha, Hereward 8t/ha, Einstein on gravel land 7.25t/ha (2.9t/acre), and January-drilled Einstein 4.9t/ha (1.94t/acre).
Canadian spring red wheat ADS 75 yielded 5t/ha (2t/acre) but he was very pleased it met full milling specification due to the very high price. Bushel weights were at 83kg/hl.
Specific weights of winter wheat were mainly good with Soissons at 80kg/hl, Sokrates at a very good 77kg/hl, Einstein at 72-73kg/hl, and Solstice at 78kg/hl. But he was disappointed with Malacca at 71-73kg/hl.
Most of the crop came in at 19-20% moisture, which he said was expected, and he was surprised overall yields were on the five-year average. Variation was more between fields than variety.
“Most of the wheat is grown for Warburtons on a fixed price contract so we concentrate on it to get the full quality.”
Harvest usually finishes on 5 or 6 September for Mr Edgely so he said they were two weeks ahead this year. Next year he planned to drop Einstein as well as Sokrates. “Although it is our best variety the millers don’t want it so much.”
He planned to grow Deben on poorer land, and Solstice in place of Malacca. “Every year the bushel weights of Malacca struggle, so we will only grow it on better land, but it still only gets up to 75kg/hl. Solstice is a safer bet, but we could do with another group one variety.”
• Crop: Winter wheat
• Variety: Soissons, Malacca, Sokrates, Einstein, Solstice, Hereward
• Area: 680ha
• Yield: Soissons just under 7.5t/ha (3t/acre), Malacca 8.5t/ha (3.4t/acre), Sokrates 9t/ha (3.6t/acre), Solstice 8t/ha, Hereward 8t/ha, Einstein on gravel land 7.25t/ha (2.9t/acre), Jan drilled Einstein 4.9t/ha (1.94t/acre)
• Quality: Bushel weight Soissons 80kg/hl, Sokrates 77kg/hl, Einstein 72-73kg/hl, Solstice 78kg/hl, Malacca 71-73kg/hl. Moisture 19-20%.
• Crop: Canadian spring red wheat
• Variety: ADS 75
• Area: N/A
• Yield: 5t/ha (2t/ac)
• Quality: Bushel weight 83kg/hl