The decision means that farmers can continue to use the active, which provides protection against a range of grain storage insect pests, particularly weevils, moths, beetles and mites.
“The Annex I listing is a critical milestone for Actellic brands in Europe”, said Ludwig Mittermeier, Syngenta’s European portfolio manager.
“Given the declining number of such products available, the Annex I listing of pirimiphos-methyl is an important step to maintain a range of insecticides for farmers, seed companies and all grain storage facilities for integrated control programs.”
What is the Annex I listing?
• Active ingredients sold in the EU must be on the ‘Annex I’ list
• Manufacturers must submit extensive safety data to support any inclusion
• The list is currently being reviewed
• Some older products have failed to get Annex I listing
• See http://europa.eu/index_en.htm