04 December 1998
Banana war hots up again
THE European Union and USA were back facing an all-out trade war after talks broke down to resolve the dispute over Europes preferential banana import regime.
The two parties have been trying to arrange a timetable for a meeting of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) to hear the issue.
The USA is threatening to impose punitive sanctions on a wide range of European goods unless the EU complies with an earlier WTO ruling.
- Talks continue on banana dispute, FWi, 27 November, 1998
- USA in banana talks with EU, FWi, 26 November, 1998
- EU ready to do a deal over ACP bananas, FWi, 24 November, 1998
- US-EU banana battle reaches WTO, FWi, 23 November, 1998
- “Banana war will go USAs way”, FWi, 18 November, 1998
- USA backs off from EU banana war, FWi, 17 November, 1998
- Financial Times 04/12/98 page 4